Saturday, December 3, 2011

Service Slippers

This Monday at the Veterans’ Home I helped out in the Volunteer department for a while and then headed on over to Crafts and Hobbies. I expected to see Joe there. He’s the staffer that usually works in crafts. But to my surprise, he had taken the day off. Apparently his kid has some health issues that they had to go to the hospital to have checked out. This meant it was just me and the residents. It was just me and the residents then. It’s kind of fun to hangout for the afternoon with all of the residents. They are all so relaxed. It’s a really nice break from the craziness we all call college life.

One of the ladies came in with some new house slippers she’d just gotten. The problem with the slippers were that the kept falling off. So, we found her some edging material that would work well for a strap. Then we cut some pieces and I sewed them on for her. Now her slippers stay on. It was cool because I know that the residents basically get given everything, but on the flip side, hardly anyone goes beyond what is expected or required. She didn’t expect me to do that for her, even though there really wasn’t much else for me to be doing, and she was so appreciative. She kept telling me over and over how thankful she was and how nice I must be to be willing to do a thing like that. I’m pretty sure I made her day.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in there too. There are Christmas ornaments and trees and bouquets everywhere. Charlie has been quite busy. He’s the one that makes the bouquets of false flowers and stuff. It’s cool how other peoples’ birdhouses, ornaments, and figurines find their way into his bouquets and he makes them fit so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment